Subject: Re: Avery Pennarun's git-subtree?

From: Bryan Larsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 14:23:25 -0400

>
> Using git-subtree has its warts too: I don't think for example that there is
> a way to get a log _automatically excluding_ history subtree-merged
> subprojects.  Or is it there?
>

It works exactly right for me when I used git-subtree in "squashed" 
mode.  Changes which were done in tree show up separately in the log, 
changes which were pulled in via git-subtree pull show up as a single 
summary entry in the log.

This discussion has been about how to improve git submodules, which is 
sorely needed.   However, it's quite clear that git submodules will 
never work as well as git subtrees in certain quite common situations. 
  If fixed, git submodules will be more appropriate in other situations. 
   However, I'm not asking to remove git submodules or prevent anybody 
from fixing them, I'm just asking that git subtree be merged.

Does anybody actually oppose the merger of git-subtree, which has (at 
least) hundreds of users despite its out-of-tree status?

thanks,
Bryan