Subject: Re: Avery Pennarun's git-subtree?

From: Jens Lehmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 23:32:58 +0200

Am 27.07.2010 22:57, schrieb Avery Pennarun:
> One problem with this line of reasoning is that "--recursive" is
> always an option.  But if submodules are ever to be easy to use, I
> think it should be the default (or settable as a default using git
> config).  This would take us a *long* way towards usability (of
> course, in addition to adding the missing features, as you mention).

And that is exactly what I am currently doing:

- I already teached diff and status to always recurse (and just
  sent a patch to add a config option for that behavior, as some
  users either can't pay the performance costs or don't want to
  see submodules show up as modified just because they contain
  untracked files).

- I posted a WIP patch doing recursive checkouts (that is basically
  working but I still have to put in the safety checks so that no
  modifications to submodules are accidentally discarded unless -f
  is used).

- I am working on a recursive fetch too.

And then there is other stuff on my list to be tackled; I try to
fix these issues so that the most annoying problems get solved
first.

Unfortunately that does not proceed as fast as i wished, but
hopefully I can show some progress in the near future. Of course
any help would greatly be appreciated ;-)