Subject: Re: [RFC/PATCH] rebase -i: add run command to launch a shell command

From: Paolo Bonzini <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2010 17:04:08 +0200

On 08/02/2010 12:02 PM, Matthieu Moy wrote:
> I think this makes more sense for the user, and I've actually already
> been biten by the old behavior, running "rebase -i" from a doc/
> subdirectory, and wondering why my "exec make" was rebuilding the
> code itself.

I think it's a matter of habits, and I would surely be bitten more by 
the opposite problem: when I'm usually ready to rebase and test I'm 
likely to be in src/ (for packages that have one such directory) or tests/.

cd to the top-level repository is a logical choice since rebase is a 
repository-wide command (even though the particular set of commits might 
touch only a part of it).  It is easier to implement, does not have any 
problem with conflicts or otherwise with deletion, and easier to 
document as well.

If you decide to go with the other choice, however, I would _strongly_ 
suggest failing if the directory not exists.  After all most of the time 
the command ("make" for example) will be pretty unlikely to succeed.

Paolo