Subject: getting an interpreted remote url for script use

From: Chris Packham <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2010 10:19:40 -0700

Hi,

I have a script that sends an email to a developer when someone applies
their patch (I know there are other server-side hooks that can be used
for this, but there are infrastructure reasons why these can't be used
easily).

Among other things my script tries to take the URL of the remote and
convert it to a http URL that is pointing to our internal server running
gitweb. The conversion is a simple s|ssh://|http://to-gitweb|

At the moment the script parses the output of 'git remote show origin'
to get the URL which was a bad idea to start with and has subsequently
been broken by changes in the show output (specifically the display of
Pull and Fetch URLs).

I think I should be doing is using 'git config remote.origin.url' to get
the URL but the problem with that is if someone has setup a URL alias
then I get the URL prior to the interpreting of that alias. Is there any
way for me to get the interpreted remote URL?

Thanks,
Chris