Subject: Re: RFD: git-bzr: anyone interested?

From: Gabriel Filion <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2010 04:48:02 -0400

(restoring CC list. it is customary on the git list to reply-all)

On 2010-08-06 23:36, Miles Bader wrote:
> Conrad Parker <[email-masked]> writes:
>> Anyone interested in git-bzr might also want to look at some recent
>> rewrites; from the current git-bzr README:
>>
>> The following are rewrites in Python and may offer better bzr integration:
>>   * http://github.com/termie/git-bzr-ng
>>   * http://github.com/matthew-brett/git-bzr
>>
>> (... and I'd also be interested to know how well either of these work :)

I've found some time to begin implementing a remote-helper[1] this week.
Plugging in a call to "bzr fast-export" made cloning a repository with
"git clone bzr::url" and pulling new revisions in with "git pull" work
with minimum effort.

[1]:http://github.com/lelutin/git-remote-bzr

However, as reported in this bug[2], the fast-import path to push
commits back to bzr is broken in the bzr plugin. Once we get this
working, we should be able to round-trip.

[2]:https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr-fastimport/+bug/347729

Doing "git pull" currently exports all history from the Bazaar branch to
incorporate the needed commits in the git repo. This is really
suboptimal, but I thought having something that works before making it
work right would help me get some insights on the remote-helper's code.

The very cool thing about making this into a remote-helper instead of a
git command in itself, is that we won't have to redisign (and possibly
re-implement) the command line interface, since git will be calling the
remote-helper with the right commands at the appropriate time.

-- 
Gabriel Filion