Subject: Re: wiki "abuse"

From: A Large Angry SCM <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2010 19:18:10 -0400

On 08/09/2010 07:00 PM, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Aug 2010, Felipe Contreras wrote:
>
>> Here's a useful Wikipedia guideline: assume good faith:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Assume_good_faith
>
> For the dear love of God.
>
> Just assume -- hypothetically -- for one second that you, Felipe
> Contreras, tried to create a user page on
> http://subversion.tigris.org/wiki/ reading like this:
>
> -- snip --
> Felipe E. Contreras, a proud Git user.
>
> * [http://felipec.wordpress.com/ Felipe Contreras]
> ** [http://felipec.wordpress.com/tag/git/ Keep an open mind]
> ** [http://whygitisbetterthanx.com/ Git is better]
> -- snap --
>
> only that the last link was to one of your blog posts and was not well
> researched.
>
> If you still think that such a completely unbiased and uncontroversial
> user page was a good idea, well, you should take over the monitoring of
> the Git Wiki, I guess, and make sure you remove all link spam. Actually, I
> like that idea. Can you do that, please? Can you watch the recent changes
> of the Git Wiki and keep it a place where information is king? Thank you
> so much in advance!

Dscho: Thank you for the excellent job you _are_ doing keeping the spam 
on the git wiki under control. Please continue.

Warthog9: Please take this as another vote to disable the user pages.

Everyone else: Most of this thread was/is well intentioned but there is 
a significant problem with spam on high profile wiki sites (like ours) 
and the information readily available (from what I've read on this 
thread) to the _volunteer_ wiki admin slash spam fighter fit the pattern 
of a spammer. If you believe that Johannes is not doing an acceptable 
job policing the wiki _AND_ you are willing and able to do the job then 
speak up with that information.