Subject: Re: windows smoke tester (was Re: What's cooking in git.git (Aug 2010, #02; Wed, 11))

From: Chris Packham <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 17:42:08 -0700

On 12/08/10 18:01, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
> If it comes with its own perl it should also have a cpan shell:
> 
>     perl -MCPAN -e 'install TAP::Harness::Archive'
> 
> That should be easier than installing strawberry in addition to the
> mingw perl.

OK this is me officially giving up on windows (or at least this
particular windows box).

I couldn't install any perl modules with the environment provided by
msysgit, I couldn't make msys play nice with strawberry perl. In
desperation I tried cygwin and again I failed to get any perl modules
installed (although it did get further than msys).

I think a major part of the problem is the way the box was setup by the
IT department at work. It has its home drive set to a network share
which both cygwin and msys pick up on. This seems to cause problems for
the CPAN module when it tries to download and build stuff there.

I'd like to be able to help, but I lack the windows knowledge to change
any of the setup that was made by the IT team. If I get my hands on
another windows box with a more standard install I'll give it another
try. For now, I'm admitting defeat.

-C