Subject: Re: git-filter-branch : LANG / LC_ALL = C breaks UTF-8 author names

From: Richard MICHAEL <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 15:44:10 +0200

On 10-08-20 3:32 PM, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> Richard MICHAEL wrote:
>
>> I am filtering our repo with git-filter-branch, but as the sed
>> script runs with LANG=C LC_ALL=C (7 bit US ASCII), it dies on
>> commits authored by our team members with accented names.
> Yep, someone else recently sent a report about such a sed version,
> too.  It is breaking our fragile minds; we ought to find some way to
> deal with it, but we haven't yet.
>
> Jonathan

Jonathan, thanks for your reply.

What about special casing the bad sed (or whitelisting good sed)?  
Surely a hack, but would those of us with GNU or BSD would be happy.  
Which was the troublesome sed?

That opposed to figuring out the problem, reading about unicode, and 
re-cloning and re-filtering 5,000 commits. :-)  Unfortunately, it 
doesn't "die" well either; the 'export' shell var fails but it keeps 
processing commits.  (If I hadn't investigated and changed the LANG, 
would I have lost those commits?)

Regards,
Richard