Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/2] po/de.po: add German translation

From: Jens Lehmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2010 18:24:58 +0200

Am 06.09.2010 17:41, schrieb Thomas Rast:
> I already like the translation way better than the one that
> gitk/git-gui have, because it doesn't try so hard to translate *every*
> term.

Full Ack, I can't find my way through git-gui or gitk when I forget
to start them with "LC_ALL=C" (And when you use git mainly via these
guis, you will have to learn /every/ git command again when you
start using the command line). IMHO terms that have a special in git
should not be translated, so I would even vote for leaving terms like
"fetch", "fast-forward" and maybe even "tracking-branch" as they are.

But however, translations should be consistent between gitk/git-gui
and the command line, no? E.g. tracking branch is "Übernahmezweig"
(whatever that means) there and "verfolgter Branch" here ... :-/

> [probably out of order, I found it while compiling the glossary]
>> +msgid "detached HEAD"
>> +msgstr "von HEAD abgetrennt"
> 
> That's not strictly speaking true; HEAD always points to a commit
> except in an unborn branch, and in any case (this is from commit.c)
> points to a commit after this message is output.  You could try
> "abgetrennter HEAD", "entkoppelter HEAD" or so...

Yup, maybe "abgelöster HEAD" or "loser HEAD" (even if the latter may
sound funny when parsed in English ;-)