Subject: Re: [PATCH] post-receive-email: ensure sent messages are not empty

From: "Kevin P. Fleming" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2010 14:04:31 -0500

On 09/07/2010 02:02 PM, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Changes the logic in the script to determine whether an email message
> will be sent before invoking the send_mail() function; otherwise, if
> the logic determines that a message will not be sent, send_mail() will
> cause an empty email to be sent. In addition, ensures that if multiple
> refs are updated and a message cannot be sent for one of them,
> the others are still processed normally.
> 
> Signed-off-by: Kevin P. Fleming <[email-masked]>

Just bringing this one back to the list again, since Junio's preparing
for a freeze for 1.7.3. Allowing post-receive-email to generate an empty
email message can be quite problematic, depending on the MTA in use on
the system where the script is run... in our case, it caused the MTA to
generate bounce messages which were then delivered to the admin of our
corporate MTA, who had no clue what was causing them since they had no
content.

-- 
Kevin P. Fleming
Digium, Inc. | Director of Software Technologies
445 Jan Davis Drive NW - Huntsville, AL 35806 - USA
skype: kpfleming | jabber: [email-masked]
Check us out at www.digium.com & www.asterisk.org