Subject: Re: RFC: Adding an option to log-like commands to call an external command for each revision

From: Artur Skawina <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 00:17:15 +0200

On 09/11/10 17:56, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
>>> I have this alias in my .gitconfig:
>>>
>>>     review = "!f() { for rev in $(git rev-list --reverse \"$@\"); do
>>> git show $rev; done; }; f"
>>>
>>> I use it after I "git pull" to see what changed, e.g.:
>>>
>>>     git review 49ea7b8..e1ef3c1

> I just like the UI of having each commit "pop up" where I can either
> page up/down within the commit, or dismiss it with "q" and go to the
> next one.

Something like

$ LESS="$LESS +/^commit " git whatchanged -p --reverse ORIG_HEAD..

will let you jump between the commits using 'n' for next, 'N' for
previous.

Not 100% the same, i know, but much faster than your solution.
(mostly because of pipelining; while you're reviewing one change
the next commits are already being prepared. For deep, but filtered
queries, i often do it more explicitly as "git..|bag|less +/^commit"
to avoid the stalls.)

artur