Subject: Re: git-p4

From: Kent Borg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 11:30:57 -0400

Tor Arvid Lund wrote:
> [git-p4: depot-paths = "//Path/To/Your/Project/": change = 30049]
> .. where the 'change' number is the number of the perforce changelist
> you synced using git-p4.
>
> So - work that you want to submit to p4 should be rebased on top of
> such a commit. Then it should work to do git-p4 submit.
>   

That doesn't work.  I am suspecting there is a tangle in my branches.

Firing up a Python session and manually running the git-p4
findUpstreamBranchPoint() I get back something reminiscent of the commit
I made at your suggestion:

  ['remotes/p4/master', {'change': '160991', 'depot-paths':
['//depot/imgeng/sw/inferno/kernel/linux-2.6.33-quatro']}]

I thought it looked reasonable, but when I try to run the git p4 summit,
at line 811 in git-p4 it is doing:

  git rev-list --no-merges remotes/p4/master..master

And then reversing the results and trying to apply them all, starting
with 1da177e (which is Linux-2.16.12-rc), and again it fails.  (Again,
thank goodness it failed at that.)  How is git rev-list supposed to get
a limited list back?

Anyone spot my silliness?  Next I'm going to see if I can create a
normal (and working) case for comparison.  (As a newbie git is one
thing, trying to understand git-p4 at the same time makes it that much
harder.)

Thanks a bunch,

-kb, the Kent who Monday morning (UTC-0400) would love to casually say
"Oh, yes, git-p4 is working great, both directions, no problem.".