Subject: Re: git-p4

From: Kent Borg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 10:23:27 -0400

Tor Arvid Lund wrote:
>> I don't have time to try the "git p4 submit" now, I am going to be late
>> in meeting my wife.  Tomorrow morning...will it work?
>>     
>
> I'm optimistic :)

Um, not so great.

Two problems:

 - I was on the wrong branch this morning when I did the
   "git p4 submit" (stupid me),

 - I realize that even if I had done that right, part of my
   history is a big lump of Linux kernel files with no history
   but a sync out of Perforce.

So it seems what I need to do is get on a clean branch that has good
history and cherry-pick all the bits I want off the branch with the bad
ancestry onto the clean branch.  (And get a good "[git-p4: depot-paths:
..." in place.)

Then...just point p4/HEAD and p4/master and master to the newest commit
on that new clean branch.  Voila!

Possibly one of my last stupid questions on this: How do I do that? 
"p4/master" looks like a remote, but "git remote" doesn't seem to know
about it.  In gitg "master" is green, just like a branch I might create,
so I figure I can delete and re-create it where I want, but "p4/master"
and "p4/HEAD" is blue.  What are these blue things?  How do I move them
to a different commit?

Thanks,

-kb