Subject: Re: git-p4

From: Kent Borg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 12:28:15 -0400

Tor Arvid Lund wrote:
> git remote, shows remotes as defined in your .git/config file (the
> [remote "someremotename"] sections). git-p4 does not need nor create
> such entries.

I am confused trying to understand what kind of beast the p4/master is.

I think my fundamental problem is that I need p4/master to point at a
branch with a real git history, not a sync from Perforce (which has no
git history).

I tried pointing p4/master at a clean branch in my repository with "git
update-ref refs/remotes/p4/master ...", but every time I tried a "git p4
sync --verbose" it sprang back to pointing at the old commit (the one
without a full git history). 

So I figured I have brokenness I might be able to leave behind if I
tried making a new "git p4 clone", doing a "git remote add ..." to the
branch I like in my old git repository, and trying it again...but I get
the same result. 

After my update-ref I grep in .git for the commit hash that keeps
grabbing my p4/master...and that hash is only in
logs/refs/remotes/p4/master.    I do a "git p4 sync" and the hash
reappears in refs/remotes/p4/master.  Where is it coming from?

How do I change where p4/master points?  (Put another way, how can I
have a complete Linux history in git but only new work in Perforce?)

Thanks,

-kb, the Kent who is getting a lot smarter about git in the last few
days, but for whom git-p4 is not yet in control.