Subject: Re: empty directories and git Question

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 10:32:49 +0200

On 09/16/2010 09:59 AM, Anton wrote:
> Hi!
> 
> I am using git for a very long time with TextMate and Ruby on Rails,
> now I am working with Eclipse and Android and I have a stupid problem
> (or I am stupid...). Can anybody help me?
> 
> I have directories which I do not want to track in git (like gen/* an bin/*).
> They can be ignored by adding them to the .gitignore - works well.
> 
> But when I clone the project Eclipse shouts about the missing directories.
> So I tried the following:
> 
> added a .ignoreme file to "bin" and "gen", ignored everything else.
> Works fine, now the directory and the two .ignoreme files are added,
> but Eclipse does not like to have any file in the bin directory
> (can't build until I remove it).
> 
> So it there no way to manage bin folders of any kind
> in git when working with IDEs?
> 

You can't have empty directories in git. Eclipse forcing you to have a
pre-created empty directory that it doesn't create itself if it doesn't
exist sounds mightily weird though. I'd guess there's some setting in
eclipse that tells it to automagically create or wipe the directory if
it needs to. It's not like it's a small project, so I can't imagine a
simple thing like that not being handled.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231

Considering the successes of the wars on alcohol, poverty, drugs and
terror, I think we should give some serious thought to declaring war
on peace.