Subject: Re: recursive aliases

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 13:34:02 +0200

On 09/23/2010 08:07 AM, Ramana Kumar wrote:
> Are recursive aliases in any way allowed?

They're not just not allowed; they're not even possible.

> What about aliases that don't refer to themselves, but refer to other aliases?
> 

Again, this isn't possible. How could you configure something like that?

> Obviously I can just call git from the shell with a ! alias, but
> wondering if there's any better way.

There isn't. The simple aliases are there to let you run certain
commands with certain default parameters as a new command. Normal
commands have no way of calling other commands (or themselves)
recursively. That's what shell-scripts are for.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231

Considering the successes of the wars on alcohol, poverty, drugs and
terror, I think we should give some serious thought to declaring war
on peace.