Subject: Re: Let's bump the minimum Perl version to 5.8

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 15:59:19 +0200

On 09/24/2010 03:32 PM, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 13:08, Tor Arntsen<[email-masked]>  wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 14:56, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason<[email-masked]>  wrote:
>>
>>> However, I'd like to shift the discussion a bit: Do we want to support
>>> the 5.6 line *at all* anymore? I don't think so. As you point out
>>> yourself you can just compile 5.8 or later on these machines.
>>
>> 5.8 as minimum is probably for the best. It's not that just you can
>> compile a newer version (5.8), more importantly, Perl 5.8 is available
>> as a package from those semi-official 3party repositories for most
>> systems (at least the *nix systems I have access to)
> 
> Do those repositories also have 5.10 and 5.12?
> 

Fedora 13 ships with Perl 5.10.0. IIRC, Fedora 12 (or possibly 11)
shipped with Perl 5.8. Let's not ask for more angry users than we
can handle. Since the current code seems to work fine with 5.8 and
later, I think that's a safe minimum to require for full git
functionality. Especially considering it was 3 years since we
decided on 5.6, which was by then 7 years old.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231

Considering the successes of the wars on alcohol, poverty, drugs and
terror, I think we should give some serious thought to declaring war
on peace.