Subject: Re: Multiple checkouts active for the same repository

From: Joshua Jensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 10:32:50 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: Julian Phillips
Date: 9/24/2010 9:33 AM
> The git-new-workdir script to be found in contrib/workdir allows multiple
> working copies to share the same repository - though there are some
> caveats:
>
>   1) uses symbolic links, so doesn't work on Windows
Windows Vista and Windows 7 both support proper file and directory 
symbolic links.  According to my experimentation the other day with 
git-new-workdir on Windows 7:

* Windows - mklink /D creates a directory symbolic link.  mklink creates 
a file symbolic link.  The file system traverses into the symbolic link 
and back out of it just like Unix.  rmdir /S deletes just the directory 
symbolic link.  Windows Explorer's delete does the same.
* Cygwin - 'ln -s' does not create a true directory symbolic link.  
Cygwin seems to understand the symbolic link, but Windows itself 
doesn't.  'rm -f' properly deletes a directory symbolic link.
* Bash included with msysGit - 'ln -s' performs a file/directory copy.  
'rm -f' whacks the directory contents of the linked directory and then 
deletes the symbolic link.  Ick.  :(

Josh