Subject: Re: [msysGit] Pull request for msysGit patches

From: Eric Sunshine <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 00:17:34 -0400

On 9/28/2010 11:37 PM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Eric Sunshine<[email-masked]>  writes:
>> I also normally avoid unportable 'export foo=bar'. In the particular
>> case of GREP_OPTIONS, when commenting on my original patch submission,
>> Dscho suggested 'test_have_prereq MINGW&&  export GREP_OPTIONS=foo' so
>> that is the form which made it into the final patch.
>
> Well, since bbc09c2 (grep: rip out support for external grep, 2010-01-12)
> we do not run external grep at all, so GREP_OPTIONS is irrelevant.
>
> Unless you are planning to run tests on installed version of git older
> than v1.7.0, that is ;-).

The patches in question involve test scripts which themselves invoke 
external grep for various reasons. An example is t5560 where external 
grep is invoked to extract the Status: header from an HTTP response. The 
patches fix instances where grep invocations give incorrect results on 
Windows due to grep undesirably swallowing CR from CRLF line-terminators 
in the few tests where those terminators are actually significant (such 
as t5560). In the context of these test scripts, external grep is still 
employed, so GREP_OPTIONS may still be relevant.

-- ES