Subject: Re: svn propset - focus on svn:externals

From: Andreas Stricker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 10:12:05 +0200

schachtobi wrote:
> * svn:externals (not yet supported? Found nothing so far)
>   except solutions here:
>
http://panthersoftware.com/articles/view/3/svn-s-svn-externals-to-git-s-submodule-for-rails-plugins
>   but this is not the same since the client has to setup the links,
> repositories etc. And they do not come automatically as in subversion.

Then there is also the git-svn-clone-externals [1]

>   I guess submodules is the proper replacement. But still having the
> svn:externals from a pull this could be done automatically without the
> need for scripting. And the dcommit should also work for the submodules.

Git submodules could help here, but I doubt there is a full automated
solution that will work in all circumstances. Here at work we have an
excessive use of svn:externals that points diagonally through the whole
repository.

> for me the svn:merginfo and the svn:externals would be most benifitial
> since our team uses this a lot and without being able to set those from
> git it will be not possible for me to use git for a svn client to do the
> merges.

For me the support for the new svn:externals syntax [2] would be a first
huge step forwards. With the proper support for the new syntax I may use
the git-svn-clone-externals [1] to fetch the externals.

I started to extend git-svn to support those new syntax and pushed
it to github [3] for those who are interested. I'm a bit busy at the
moment, but like to continue this work.

Regards, Andy

[1] http://github.com/andrep/git-svn-clone-externals
[2] http://subversion.apache.org/docs/release-notes/1.5.html#externals
[3] http://github.com/AndyStricker/git#