Subject: Re: Splitting the mailing list up

From: Adrian Buehlmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 10:36:06 +0200

On 28.09.2010 22:06, Kevin Ballard wrote:
> On Sep 27, 2010, at 11:22 PM, Adrian Buehlmann wrote:
> 
>> I think this would definitely be an improvement for git users. At least
>> splitting up into dev and user, like Mercurial does it too (which I am
>> used to). Not sure about announce though.
>>
>> When I recently subscribed to this list (after having been a long time
>> subscriber to the Mercurial lists too), I was interested in seeing
>> discussions about git usage to help me get started with git.
>>
>> I also think searching the archives would be a bit easier if discussions
>> of new git development details and its usage would be separated.
> 
> Perhaps it would make more sense to simply create a new list for git
> newbies to get help, and to not change the nature of this existing list
> at all.

Of course, I would be fine if this list here would be simply defined as
the "git development centric list" and a new, more usage-centric list
could be started (git-users ?).

I wouldn't consider myself a complete newbie (given my DVCS knowledge I
already have from my involvement in the Mercurial and TortoiseHg
projects -- I contributed code to both of them).

I was just interested in using git, not (yet) developing. This includes
also advanced uses and problems advanced users may have with git
(helping me to get a better understanding of git).