Subject: Re: Splitting the mailing list up

From: Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 11:08:17 +0200

Adrian Buehlmann venit, vidit, dixit 29.09.2010 10:36:
> On 28.09.2010 22:06, Kevin Ballard wrote:
>> On Sep 27, 2010, at 11:22 PM, Adrian Buehlmann wrote:
>>
>>> I think this would definitely be an improvement for git users. At least
>>> splitting up into dev and user, like Mercurial does it too (which I am
>>> used to). Not sure about announce though.
>>>
>>> When I recently subscribed to this list (after having been a long time
>>> subscriber to the Mercurial lists too), I was interested in seeing
>>> discussions about git usage to help me get started with git.
>>>
>>> I also think searching the archives would be a bit easier if discussions
>>> of new git development details and its usage would be separated.
>>
>> Perhaps it would make more sense to simply create a new list for git
>> newbies to get help, and to not change the nature of this existing list
>> at all.
> 
> Of course, I would be fine if this list here would be simply defined as
> the "git development centric list" and a new, more usage-centric list
> could be started (git-users ?).

You mean something like:

[email-masked]

I don't participate there, but my impression is that it's really a user
group.

FWIW: When I was new, the volume over here was too much for me also, and
simply filtering out all PATCH messages was a perfect solution. I've
removed that filter meanwhile, though...

Michael