Subject: Re: problems installing git docs and gitweb on centos 5.5

From: "J.H." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 15:35:22 -0700

On 09/30/2010 07:22 AM, Dennis Huynh wrote:
> Alright, I'm going with the Fedora EPEL repositories.  But last I
> checked the latest version available via that method was 1.5.x.  Since
> this is a server, I preferred to use the latest and greatest so to last
> in the long run from any major patches or cover any major upgrades, but
> if that's the version that's preferred, who am I to argue.  One problem
> I recall in yum'ing the install for git however was the man pages
> weren't installed either.  I could be wrong however.  I'll keep you guys
> up to date.  Wish me luck!  Thanks for all your help and the timely
> responses.

The stuff in EPEL is a bit older, I should have words with whoever is
maintaining those to see if we can get those upgraded.  There really
isn't any reason those should be lagging that much.

This is however why I suggested just recompiling the rpms present on
kernel.org, which would get you the latest and greatest and not,
completely, push you into maintaining the packages on your own.

> Also, is there how-tos you'd suggest I use in setting up the git/gitweb
> combo with the yum install?  I noticed yum installs files in different
> locations then the source does.  Thanks again!

They install into different locations though the instructions should be
relatively straight forward.

http://git.kernel.org/?p=git/warthog9/gitweb.git;a=blob;f=gitweb/README;h=ad6a04c464075c31afe3c67222f0bdeabc76f569;hb=HEAD

is the official documentation, but a quick glance at it shows that it
doesn't stay consistent on where the the document root is.  If you have
problems give me a holler and I'll throw up how I have it configured at
kernel.org on the kernel.org wiki as a reference point for people to a
specific installation.

- John 'Warthog9' Hawley