Subject: Re: problems installing git docs and gitweb on centos 5.5

From: Dennis Huynh <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 18:44:20 -0400

Its fine.  I'm going with the EPEL repo to start and learn from. If this 
can be upgraded in the near future that would be dandy.  If not, I 
should have a handle on maintaining a repository by then and be able to 
build the latest and greatest myself.  Because of my inexperience with 
maintaining this type of technology, I didn't realize the projectroot 
was not consistent throughout the documentation.  Had I known, I 
would've had an easier time, but doubt I'd have a working server up by 
now.  Not that I have a working server up right now, but I'm getting 
closer than I was yesterday.  If I have any questions I will be sure to 
ask and when I understand more, hopefully I'll be able to contribute 
better documentation myself as to where the original led me astray.  
Thanks again for following up.  I'm sure you'll hear from me again if 
you don't mind.

On 9/30/10 6:35 PM, J.H. wrote:
> On 09/30/2010 07:22 AM, Dennis Huynh wrote:
>    
>> Alright, I'm going with the Fedora EPEL repositories.  But last I
>> checked the latest version available via that method was 1.5.x.  Since
>> this is a server, I preferred to use the latest and greatest so to last
>> in the long run from any major patches or cover any major upgrades, but
>> if that's the version that's preferred, who am I to argue.  One problem
>> I recall in yum'ing the install for git however was the man pages
>> weren't installed either.  I could be wrong however.  I'll keep you guys
>> up to date.  Wish me luck!  Thanks for all your help and the timely
>> responses.
>>      
> The stuff in EPEL is a bit older, I should have words with whoever is
> maintaining those to see if we can get those upgraded.  There really
> isn't any reason those should be lagging that much.
>
> This is however why I suggested just recompiling the rpms present on
> kernel.org, which would get you the latest and greatest and not,
> completely, push you into maintaining the packages on your own.
>
>    
>> Also, is there how-tos you'd suggest I use in setting up the git/gitweb
>> combo with the yum install?  I noticed yum installs files in different
>> locations then the source does.  Thanks again!
>>      
> They install into different locations though the instructions should be
> relatively straight forward.
>
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=git/warthog9/gitweb.git;a=blob;f=gitweb/README;h=ad6a04c464075c31afe3c67222f0bdeabc76f569;hb=HEAD
>
> is the official documentation, but a quick glance at it shows that it
> doesn't stay consistent on where the the document root is.  If you have
> problems give me a holler and I'll throw up how I have it configured at
> kernel.org on the kernel.org wiki as a reference point for people to a
> specific installation.
>
> - John 'Warthog9' Hawley
>
>
>