Subject: Re: [PATCH 5/6] Introduce the git fast-import-helper

From: Tomas Carnecky <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2010 17:45:08 +0200

On 10/3/10 5:31 PM, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> Tomas Carnecky wrote:
> 
>>  fast-import-helper.c | 2201 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> 
> Aaa!  Could someone send a diff of this against the usual fast-import.c?
> 
> I'm sure you won't be surprised to hear I am not optimistic about the
> long-term maintainability of two separate fast-import implementations.
> If we get usability improvements by patching the existing fast-import,
> that would be much better.

I agree. But when I started hacking on fast-import it seemed easier to
completely rip out parts that I didn't need and then add the few bits
that I needed. I only need two new things from fast-import:
  1) support non-numeric marks (and even this is maybe not strictly
required)
  2) dump the mark->sha1 mapping immediately after creating the object
(I heard there is a patch somewhere that does just that)
All other changes are not needed. Though I think there are a few things
which could be ported back to fast-import.c. I'll try to see which
changes make sense to be backported and will post patches.

tom