Subject: remote-bzr status

From: Gabriel Filion <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2010 17:17:37 -0400

Hi,

It's been a very long time now since I talked about this on the list.
The project (integration with Bazaar through a remote helper) is not
dead, it's just stalled because of bugs in the chosen "backend".

The remote helper code was done in python (mostly based off of Sverre's
remote-hg code) and relies on the "bzr-fastimport" tool. It can be found
on my github repository:

http://github.com/lelutin/git-remote-bzr

First off, what was done for now?

- The remote helper is able to pull in changes in Git repos and to
create tags.
- It is possible to push changes back _but_ only in some situations. The
"bzr-fastimport" tool currently has bugs [1] that prevent it from doing
what we want. I have included a patch in the remote helper repository to
fix one issue on the fix that was proposed but the whole thing is not
completely fixed.

[1]: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr-fastimport/+bug/347729

Why did I lag this much on this project?
Mostly because of lack of time. My $dayjob was far too demanding. But
since I am now self-employed, I want to find some time to work on this
and get it through.

I tried tinkering directly with "bzrlib" to make my own tool to
import/export information from/to Bazaar, but it is a tremendous PITA
(unstable API, bad documentation, exceptions thrown are not always easy
to understand).

I have been working on the bzr-fastimport bugs but I didn't receive any
feedback from maintainers. So I currently am wondering if I need to be
pushing for this tool to be fixed or if I should reimplement it.

Any help and/or support would be appreciated. I'll keep posting status
updates when I have new info or progress on the project.

-- 
Gabriel Filion