Subject: Re: branch versioning

From: Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2010 15:44:24 +0200

Nguyen Thai Ngoc Duy venit, vidit, dixit 04.10.2010 15:18:
> Hi,
> 
> How do you guys manage versions of a topic branch? I usually end up
> saving format-patch series somewhere or forget all old versions.
> Although I really want to keep old versions around. reflog to me   is
> polluted with every kind of branch updates. And it's local
> information. It can't be transferred to another repo (or can it?)
> 
> On the same subject, I have quite a few old topic branches that I
> rarely touch. I don't want to remove them. I just want to hide them
> away from "git branch". I've been thinking of "attic/" namespace that
> "git branch" by default will not show. Just wondering if other people
> face the same problem..

Same problem, without a perfect solution. I have a branch mjg/foo for a
topic in flight. If I need to submit v2, I tag the old tip mjg/foo-v1
and rebase -i, etc. Once a patch gets accepted, I do:

- Merge the git.git commit with the applied patch to mjg/foo (with a
message like "Applied as commit deadbeef on next). The merge diff shows
the differences between my patch and the actual commit on git.git.
- Tag the tip as mjg/applied/foo.
- Delete the branch.
- Delete the branch on my repos if it has been pushed out already (this
point sucks).

That way my branch namespace is reasonably clean, and the graph view on
github, e.g., is somewhat meaningful. My tag name space is a bit crowded...

I also keep the commit notes (post ---) in a note ;)

Michael