Subject: Re: Error when verifying tags signed using 1.7.3.1

From: Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 10:00:25 +0200

Stephan Hugel venit, vidit, dixit 05.10.2010 02:17:
> On 5 October 2010 00:59, Daniel Johnson <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> On Monday 04 October 2010 19:04:51 Stephan Hugel wrote:
>>> Daniel,
>>> Those are the exact steps I'm using.
>>>
>>> When I run tag -v on existing tags, I don't see the
>>>
>>> -----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
>>> Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (Darwin)
>>>
>>> iD8DBQBMqlpo8Y2TgZsQ1pARAmBQAJ9NV0IX7jlzeB8ogddlutFKAjyWJwCfSI5A
>>> yZeXw/EddYrfdad/VvOrL1o=
>>> =/0PJ
>>> -----END PGP MESSAGE——
>>>
>>> block. It's only present on tags created using the current version.
>>> I've also just upgraded to GnuPG 1.4.10, but the result is the same.
>>> I'm not sure how else I can determine where the problem arises; I'm
>>> using the git and GnuPG versions for OS X built by homebrew, and GnuPG
>>> is happy to use the same key for en/decryption and signing. I've also
>>> verified that none of the subkeys are expired, and that the trust db
>>> is OK.
>>
>> If you have the tests available, can you try running t7004 to see if it fails
>> there too?
>>
> I rebuilt and installed from source
> Passed all 105 tests in t7004-tag.sh
> Problem remains with tags I create
> 
> This would seem to imply a problem with my key, even though nothing
> else is complaining about it.

Here's a very basic way to check: If foo is your tag, do

git cat-file tag foo > a
git cat-file tag foo > a.sig

From the file "a", delete the signature (everything lines between and
including "-----BEGIN/END PGP SIGNATURE-----"), invoking an editor or
your favorite sed/awk/perl magic.

a is the data on which git invoked gpg for signing the tag. (I'm not
sure why gpg can't notice the inline sig directly but that doesn't
matter; maybe because it is none ;))

Now, gpg --verify a.sig should check the signature a.sig for a. Doing
that, maybe with --verbose, you may find out whether the tag object is
bogus or git misunderstands gpg's response. If your key is on a key
server you can also share the file a.sig with us so that we can check.

Michael