Subject: Re: problems installing git docs and gitweb on centos 5.5

From: Dennis Huynh <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 16:28:24 -0400

I have git and gitweb setup and working great.  All's that is left now 
is to have it so my project root is symlinked to a network share.  I 
already have the network share mount on my system as 
/Volumes/networkShare/projects.  My $projectroot variable in 
/etc/gitweb.conf is set to '/var/www/html'.  After this I create a 
symlink, 'ln -s /Volumes/networkShare/projects /var/www/html' which then 
creates a symlink in my html folder called projects.  I edit my 
gitweb.conf file so the $projectroot is now set to 
/var/www/html/projects and gitweb fails to see the git projects.  What 
gives?  Is there any other way to do this?  Thanks.

On 9/30/10 6:44 PM, Dennis Huynh wrote:
> Its fine.  I'm going with the EPEL repo to start and learn from. If 
> this can be upgraded in the near future that would be dandy.  If not, 
> I should have a handle on maintaining a repository by then and be able 
> to build the latest and greatest myself.  Because of my inexperience 
> with maintaining this type of technology, I didn't realize the 
> projectroot was not consistent throughout the documentation.  Had I 
> known, I would've had an easier time, but doubt I'd have a working 
> server up by now.  Not that I have a working server up right now, but 
> I'm getting closer than I was yesterday.  If I have any questions I 
> will be sure to ask and when I understand more, hopefully I'll be able 
> to contribute better documentation myself as to where the original led 
> me astray.  Thanks again for following up.  I'm sure you'll hear from 
> me again if you don't mind.
>
>
> On 9/30/10 6:35 PM, J.H. wrote:
>> On 09/30/2010 07:22 AM, Dennis Huynh wrote:
>>> Alright, I'm going with the Fedora EPEL repositories.  But last I
>>> checked the latest version available via that method was 1.5.x.  Since
>>> this is a server, I preferred to use the latest and greatest so to last
>>> in the long run from any major patches or cover any major upgrades, but
>>> if that's the version that's preferred, who am I to argue.  One problem
>>> I recall in yum'ing the install for git however was the man pages
>>> weren't installed either.  I could be wrong however.  I'll keep you 
>>> guys
>>> up to date.  Wish me luck!  Thanks for all your help and the timely
>>> responses.
>> The stuff in EPEL is a bit older, I should have words with whoever is
>> maintaining those to see if we can get those upgraded.  There really
>> isn't any reason those should be lagging that much.
>>
>> This is however why I suggested just recompiling the rpms present on
>> kernel.org, which would get you the latest and greatest and not,
>> completely, push you into maintaining the packages on your own.
>>
>>> Also, is there how-tos you'd suggest I use in setting up the git/gitweb
>>> combo with the yum install?  I noticed yum installs files in different
>>> locations then the source does.  Thanks again!
>> They install into different locations though the instructions should be
>> relatively straight forward.
>>
>> http://git.kernel.org/?p=git/warthog9/gitweb.git;a=blob;f=gitweb/README;h=ad6a04c464075c31afe3c67222f0bdeabc76f569;hb=HEAD 
>>
>>
>> is the official documentation, but a quick glance at it shows that it
>> doesn't stay consistent on where the the document root is.  If you have
>> problems give me a holler and I'll throw up how I have it configured at
>> kernel.org on the kernel.org wiki as a reference point for people to a
>> specific installation.
>>
>> - John 'Warthog9' Hawley
>>
>>
>