Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 0/6] Extensions of core.ignorecase=true support

From: Joshua Jensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2010 16:46:50 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: Robert Buck
Date: 10/6/2010 4:04 PM
> Let's say I want to have .gitignore be case insensitive with respect
> to matches so I can simplify the file by not having [D][d]ebug sorts
> of messes. But let's say I also want to support files whose names only
> differ by case (just like Unix supports). Can your current patch
> series support this? Does the current patch series break this?
>
> Could you share how this would or would not work, and if not, how you
> might accomplish this?
With this patch series, you are either on a case sensitive file system 
(core.ignorecase = false) or a case insensitive file system 
(core.ignorecase = true).

There is no specific configuration for .gitignore case insensitivity.  
It only pays attention to core.ignorecase.

This is something that could be added, but I don't fully understand the 
need.  On case sensitive file systems, the case of the resultant 
filename is guaranteed.  If you have both a Debug/ and debug/ directory, 
I would expect two entries in the .gitignore.

?

Josh