Subject: Re: [PATCH] fast-import: Allow filemodify to set the root

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2010 08:50:22 +0200

Am 10/7/2010 22:28, schrieb Jonathan Nieder:
> Sverre Rabbelier wrote:
> 
>> This means nothing to me
> 
> Sorry for the lack of clarity.  Probably I should have just said:
> 
> | For a command (like filter-branch --subdirectory-filter) that wants
> | to commit a lot of trees that already exist in the object db, writing
> | undeltified objects as loose files only to repack them later can
> | involve a significant amount[*] of overhead.

1. But when an object already exists in the db, it won't be written again,
will it?

2. Even though fast-import puts all (new) objects into a pack file, the
pack is heavily sub-optimal, and you should repack -f anyway. So what's
the point? Only to avoid a loose object?

(I'm not saying that the patch is unwanted, but only that the
justification is still not sufficiently complete.)

-- Hannes