Subject: Re: [PATCH] fast-import: Allow filemodify to set the root

From: Gabriel Filion <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2010 04:33:38 -0400

Hello,

On 2010-10-08 04:15, Ramkumar Ramachandra wrote:
> diff --git a/Documentation/git-fast-import.txt b/Documentation/git-fast-import.txt
> index 966ba4f..90a4666 100644
> --- a/Documentation/git-fast-import.txt
> +++ b/Documentation/git-fast-import.txt
> @@ -524,6 +524,9 @@ start with double quote (`"`).
>  If an `LF` or double quote must be encoded into `<path>` shell-style
>  quoting should be used, e.g. `"path/with\n and \" in it"`.
>  
> +Additionally, in `040000` mode, `<path>` may also be an empty string
> +(`""`) to specify the root of the tree.
> +
>  The value of `<path>` must be in canonical form. That is it must not:
>  
>  * contain an empty directory component (e.g. `foo//bar` is invalid),

Thanks for keeping documentation up to date :)

Although, I think the documentation should be a bit more precise about
what "specifying the root of the tree" means for a 'filemodify' command
and its implication on performance (i.e. why there's actually this
special case in the syntax)

-- 
Gabriel Filion