Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 05/14] mingw: use real pid

From: Eric Sunshine <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 17:56:25 -0400

On 10/10/2010 4:52 PM, Erik Faye-Lund wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 9:53 PM, Eric Sunshine<[email-masked]>  wrote:
>> On 10/10/2010 9:20 AM, Erik Faye-Lund wrote:
>>>
>>> The Windows port so far used process handles as PID. However,
>>> this does not work consistently with getpid.
>>
>> Perhaps this could be elaborated a bit to explain the interaction with
>> getpid() and how it is causing problems for daemon mode. For the casual
>> reader, it is not immediately obvious what is failing or why this patch is
>> needed.
>>
>
> Good point. How about something like this?

Thanks. This sort of explanation could indeed be helpful as part of the 
commit message.

> "The Windows port so far used process handles as PID. However, this is
> not consistent with what getpid returns.
>
> PIDs are system-global identifiers, but process handles are local to a
> process. Using PIDs instead of process handles allows for instance a
> user to kill a hung process with the Task Manager, something that
> would have been impossible with process handles."

Minor nit: Add commas around 'for instance': "...handles allows, for 
instance, a user..."

These also could be combined into a single paragraph.

-- ES