Subject: Re: Documentation for git gui blame

From: Chris Packham <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 09:27:11 -0700

On 12/10/10 09:12, Joshua Jensen wrote:
>  Is there any documentation for git gui blame 

Not sure but it's displaying the same info as git blame so start with
man git-blame. That probably covers most of what you want to know

> that explains what the two left columns containing 4 letter SHAs are?

These are the first 4 characters of the commit id that last
added/changed that line of code. Basically the standard abbreviated 8
character SHA1 would take up too much screen real estate. You can still
use a 4 character SHA as long as there aren't any commits in your tree
that start with the same 4 characters (the possibility of collisions
exists with 8 character ones too, it's just less likely).

> 
> What does "Blame Parent Commit" mean?
> 

It means that you have decided that the commit that it currently has
selected is not interesting and you want to see the previous commit that
modified that section (e.g. it was just some formatting change and you
want the commit that actually added the code in question).

> Thanks!
> 
> Josh
> -- 
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe git" in
> the body of a message to [email-masked]
> More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html