Subject: Re: [RFC] Hidden refs

From: Marc Branchaud <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 12:14:00 -0400

On 10-10-13 11:32 AM, Stephen Bash wrote:
>> So I'm wondering if it makes sense to properly support hidden 
>> directories in refs/, and what it would take to do so. (I image, for
>> example, that things would behave quite differently on Windows...)
>> 
>> Thoughts?
> 
> We currently use refs/hidden/heads and refs/hidden/tags for hidden refs.
> It does require calling 'gitk --branches --tags' rather than 'gitk --all',
> but otherwise I like the behavior (git branch only lists refs/heads, git
> tag only lists ref/tags).  And they never get cloned by default (they can
> still be fetched when needed).

Hmm, maybe I'm just over-designing.

It's true that we could just use refs/builds (instead of .builds) and that
those refs would need to be explicitly retrieved by anyone who wanted to see
them (which is fine).  And after the builds/ refs are fetched and done with,
it's easy enough to get rid of them with a simple "rm -r .git/refs/builds"

It appears all I'm looking for is a way to avoid that rm command.  Seems a
bit silly in the end.

Thanks for the perspective!

		M.