Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 0/3] Teach fetch and pull to recursively fetch submodules too

From: Jens Lehmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 20:14:50 +0200

Am 14.10.2010 03:01, schrieb Chris Packham:
> For modules they are working on they to rebase their working branch to
> the SHA1 recorded in the superproject. I think this kind of thing has
> already been discussed on the list, not sure that I've seen a solution
> that would work for us. For now all of this is is wrapped in a script
> for the developers.

I assume you know the "--rebase" option and the "update=rebase" config
setting for "git submodule update" and they don't work for you?

> Developers would probably want the fetch-if-super-gitlink-has-changed
> behaviour.

Yeah, I think we need to support the fetch-if-super-gitlink-has-changed,
always-fetch-all and never-fetch behavior. So in your example you could
set fetch-if-super-gitlink-has-changed in the global config and use
fetch-all for the submodule you are hacking on by changing its config
if you want that.

> Hope that is a useful use-case.

Sure, thanks!