Subject: Re: [RFC/PATCHv2 1/5] worktree: provide better prefix to go back to original cwd

From: Chris Packham <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 19:48:02 -0700

On 16/10/10 11:42, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> Chris Packham wrote:
> 
>> From: Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy <[email-masked]>
>>
>> When both GIT_DIR and GIT_WORK_TREE are set, if cwd is outside worktree,
>> prefix (the one passed to every builtin commands) will be set to NULL,
>> which means "user stays at worktree topdir".
>>
>> As a consequence, command line arguments are supposed to be relative
>> to worktree topdir, not current working directory. Not very intuitive.
> 
> Thanks.  More detailed history for this patch:
> 
>  - v0: http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/157599/focus=157601
>  - v1: http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/158287
>  - v2: http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/158369
> 

I think I must have missed v2. I was playing around with my gmail
filters around that time so I could have missed them. Actually now I've
found the message it's missing the last 'm' in gmail.com. I'll grab the
latest patch and give it a test when I get a chance.

> Any thoughts about the previous questions?
> 

I haven't caught up on the newest thread so no great revelations. Except
that for the grep submodules use-case we can assume that the worktree
will be a subdirectory of the cwd. I don't think we want to limit
ourselves to that one use-case.