Subject: Re: Restart submodule update --recursive

From: Lukasz Palczewski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2010 09:18:19 +0100

Jens Lehmann wrote:
>> Let me know if this change will be in next version of git.
> Sorry I'm coming late into this thread,but I'm still traveling.
>
> Lukasz, maybe you could wait until I finish the recursive checkout I am
> currently working on? Because then there will be no need to run
> "git submodule update" anymore, but "git checkout" will update
> submodules recursively too. And it will only fail if the checkout would
> overwrite your local modifications, not just because the submodule is
> modified in some way, and in this case it won't start at all instead of stopping
> somewhere in between (you can test that new behavior by checking
> out the branch "enhance_git_for_submodules" of my github repo:
> http://github.com/jlehmann/git-submod-enhancements ).
>
> Would that solve your problem?

Hi Jens,
Well I will wait for it and see if it does, but it will not solve all 
the problems.
Once I had a problem, when someone forgot to push a commit in the 
submodule, but pushed a commit in the main repository. Becouse of it, I 
could not update that repository. If this problem occours, I will have 
to update all the submodules with the one command "git submodules update 
--recursive" (when someone finally pushes the submodule). If the "git 
checkout" updates the rest ( not updated) submodules, but not check the 
ones, that were updated earlier, then it will work for me.