Subject: Re: Restart submodule update --recursive

From: Jens Lehmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2010 12:08:53 +0100

Am 02.11.2010 09:18, schrieb Lukasz Palczewski:
> Well I will wait for it and see if it does, but it will not solve all the problems.

Thanks, as we are moving more submodule functionality into the git
commands I would rather avoid adding new stuff to git-submodule.sh
unless it is something not handled by that move.

> Once I had a problem, when someone forgot to push a commit in the
> submodule, but pushed a commit in the main repository.

Yes, this is a common problem. We'll add a test for that in "git push"
soon, then it won't be possible to do that by accident anymore.

> Becouse of it, I could not update that repository. If this problem
> occours, I will have to update all the submodules with the one
> command "git submodules update --recursive" (when someone finally
> pushes the submodule). If the "git checkout" updates the rest
> ( not updated) submodules, but not check the ones, that were updated
> earlier, then it will work for me.

As the functionality which is now done by "git submodule update"
will be split into recursive fetch and recursive checkout, you would
have to issue a "git fetch --recurse-submodules" to retrieve the
missing commits. But that shouldn't be necessary when "git push"
tests for all submodule commits to be pushed too before it pushes
the superproject.