Subject: [PATCH 0/7] add description parameter to standard option macros

From: René Scharfe <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2010 18:53:27 +0100

This patch series is meant to improve the command line help texts
for standard options.

The first three patches add a description parameter to three helper
macros.  This allows command specific help texts to be defined for them
instead of enforcing ones that just repeat the option name.

	[PATCH 1/7] add description parameter to OPT__VERBOSE
	[PATCH 2/7] add description parameter to OPT__DRY_RUN
	[PATCH 3/7] add description parameter to OPT__QUIET

The next patch adds a similar helper macro for -f/--force.  It makes
it easier to define such an option in a consistent way.

	[PATCH 4/7] add OPT__FORCE

The last three patches depend on the first one and replace the standard
help text with a (hopefully) better explanation.

	[PATCH 5/7] archive: improve --verbose description
	[PATCH 6/7] branch: improve --verbose description
	[PATCH 7/7] verify-tag: document --verbose

Further patches to improve the remaining occurrences of "be verbose"
etc. are encouraged. :-)

 Documentation/git-verify-tag.txt              |    4 ++++
 Documentation/technical/api-parse-options.txt |    9 ++++++---
 archive.c                                     |    2 +-
 builtin/add.c                                 |    6 +++---
 builtin/apply.c                               |    2 +-
 builtin/branch.c                              |    5 +++--
 builtin/checkout-index.c                      |    5 ++---
 builtin/checkout.c                            |    4 ++--
 builtin/clean.c                               |    6 +++---
 builtin/commit.c                              |    6 +++---
 builtin/count-objects.c                       |    2 +-
 builtin/fetch.c                               |    3 +--
 builtin/fsck.c                                |    2 +-
 builtin/gc.c                                  |    2 +-
 builtin/grep.c                                |    4 ++--
 builtin/log.c                                 |    2 +-
 builtin/merge-file.c                          |    2 +-
 builtin/mv.c                                  |    4 ++--
 builtin/notes.c                               |    9 ++++-----
 builtin/prune.c                               |    5 ++---
 builtin/read-tree.c                           |    2 +-
 builtin/remote.c                              |    4 ++--
 builtin/reset.c                               |    2 +-
 builtin/rm.c                                  |    6 +++---
 builtin/show-ref.c                            |    2 +-
 builtin/symbolic-ref.c                        |    2 +-
 builtin/tag.c                                 |    2 +-
 builtin/update-server-info.c                  |    3 +--
 builtin/verify-tag.c                          |    2 +-
 parse-options.h                               |    7 ++++---
 test-parse-options.c                          |    6 +++---
 test-sha1.sh                                  |   14 ++++++++------
 32 files changed, 71 insertions(+), 65 deletions(-)