Subject: How to build git-remote-http properly?

From: public_vi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2010 03:42:18 +0200

I have built git from sources, but git-remote-http[s] does not work: it 
sends invalid data.

https://gist.github.com/667250

While normal (the one from deb package) sends a thing like this: %%%
0084f4ff491badd7290e3bcc83b7e783b0b34b8fa5ce 
157b8e24592ee8a587da4aa19ae0d2b5395308dc refs/heads/master. 
report-status side-band-64k0000PACK..........x....<truncated>

(http://vi-server.org/vi/d/git_http_push_failure.cap)

%%% from-souce git-remote-http sends things like this: %%%
0084f4ff491badd7290e3bcc83b7e783b0b34b8fa5ce 
157b8e24592ee8a587da4aa19ae0d2b5395308dc 
refs/heads/master.....!..........I0..I...I............!............... 
...8...P...h..................I.......................I.......................I............`...`......I.......................I.......................I.......................I.....................................................a..............(.......p...http.....

(http://vi-server.org/vi/d/git_http_push_failure.cap)

%%% which causes http backend to reject the garbage and remote-http 
hangs or reports error.

What cause it? How to investigate/fix? May be there should be a test for 
git-remote-http integrity?

Additional information is in https://gist.github.com/667250