Subject: Forward-port a patch using git

From: Spelic <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 16:37:14 +0100

Hi all
I have patches (xyz.patch files) which apply cleanly to kernel 2.6.36 
and 2.6.36.1 and do not apply cleanly on 2.6.37-rc4 (I mean they do 
apply but with massive offsets...)
I would like to forward-port them to 2.6.37-rc4, i.e. create equivalent 
patch files that would apply cleanly on 2.6.37-rc4 with zero offsets.

I have thought that there should be some git mechanism to confirm that 
such massive offsets which "patch" sees are actually correct and not 
false-positives, and are caused by the commits from 2.6.36 to 
2.6.37-rc4. There should be some mechanism in git to track line shifts 
in source files caused by commits...
After confirming this, Git should create for me equivalent patch files 
that apply cleanly to 2.6.37-rc4 that I can give to other people.

Is it possible? I am unfortunately a newbie with git. Can you help me?

Thank you
PS: I have downloaded the linux-2.6-stable git repository containing all 
needed revisions: v2.6.36, v2.6.36.1 and v2.6.37 .