Subject: Re: [PATCHv3] git-rebase--interactive.sh: extend "edit" command to be more useful

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2010 10:55:26 +0100

Am 12/3/2010 9:06, schrieb Jonathan Nieder:
> Kevin Ballard wrote:
>> +			sha1="${line%% *}"
>> +			rest="${line#* }"
>> +			echo "$sha1" > "$DOTEST"/stopped-sha
> 
> Maybe this can be done without relying on details of --pretty=oneline
> format?

No. This is a matter of the syntax of the recipe file. If the details of
--pretty=oneline ever changed, then the way how the boilerplate recipe
file is generated would have to be changed accordingly.

> 
> 			sha1=$(git rev-parse --short HEAD)
> 			rest=$(git show -s --format=%s HEAD)

Shouldn't $sha1 be the one given in the recipe rather than current HEAD?

But most importantly, since $rest is echoed on the terminal, it MUST be
derived from the recipe ($line). Rationale: I replace the commit subject
in the recipe by a reminder what I intend to do when the "edit" command
stops---I don't care so much what the commit subject is.

-- Hannes