Subject: Re: Can't seem to commit

From: Chris Packham <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 21:54:37 +1300

Sorry for the dupe, I forgot to CC the list.

On 05/12/10 05:33, weloki wrote:
>
> There is probably an easy solution to this but I'm seeing something really
> weird...
> I can't seem to commit anything to my new branch. When I try to commit it
> just says "no changes added to commit (use "git add" and/or "git commit
> -a")"
> When I try to do git add it doesn't seem to do anything.
> When I try to push it says "Everything up-to-date", but when I look at the
> branch on github my files aren't there.
> Strangely I was able to do everything fine with a different branch I created
> afterwards.

One thing to check is where you're pushing to ("git remote show origin"
should tell you). You may also want to check the value of "git config
branch.master.merge", "git config remote.origin.url" and "git config
push.default".

For me these are
refs/heads/master
<my github project>
tracking

Also on a very fresh repository you need to use "git push origin
master:refs/heads/master" to create the master branch on the remote end.