Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH 0/2] gitweb: die_error (error handling) improvements

From: "J.H." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 18:17:12 -0800

On 12/12/2010 04:46 PM, Jakub Narebski wrote:
> The following two patch series changes improve error / exception
> handling in gitweb, preparing the way for gitweb output caching, but
> useful even without it.
> 
> I'm sending this patch series early to gather feedback on possible
> ways of improving error / exception handling in gitweb.

Personally, instead of another band-aid over this problem, and adding
(or further legitimizing) goto statements inside gitweb I'd much *MUCH*
rather we actually put in the work to actually clean this up.

This is the direction I'm heading in, which I mentioned in an earlier
e-mail.

There are a *LOT* of disadvantages to the eval mechanism in perl.  It's
the standard but gitweb is getting more and more complex, and eval is
simplistic.  Couple that with the complexity and uncertainty that things
like goto add to the code, I would *MUCH* rather not see this series go
in, as I think it is the wrong approach to fixing this.

- John 'Warthog9' Hawley