Subject: Re: html userdiff is not showing all my changes

From: Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 10:29:01 +0100

Matthijs Kooijman venit, vidit, dixit 15.12.2010 10:12:
> Hi Michael,
> 
>> If a wordRegex can make parts of diff disappear than there is problem
>> deeper in the diff machinery.
> It can do exactly that. The word regex determines what is a word, but
> everything else is counted as "whitespace". The word diff view shows
> only differences in words, not in whitespace (which is intentional,
> since whitespace changes in things like LaTeX or HTML are not
> interesting). Note that it doesn't show whitespace _differences_, but it
> does show the whitespace itself (taken from the "new" version of the
> file).

Yep, I just found out myself experimenting with a wordRegex for csv.
Seems like quite a "Gimme rope" feature...

So, it's the regex.

> So, if the word regex somehow doesn't match the second line at all (or
> at least not the differen part), the differences could get ignored.
> 
>> Can you trim this down to a minimal example?
> That would be useful in any case.

What strikes me is that both lines are semantically identical, yet one
is treated correctly and the other isn't.

Michael