Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Dec 2010, #06; Tue, 21)

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 12:39:29 +0100

On 12/22/2010 12:05 PM, Thiago Farina wrote:
> 
> [1] Hope I will learn what this means and avoid it, something like,
> unnecessary, stupid, really trivial, etc...

churn:
Work for little or no benefit.
A patch that adds little or no value to the codebase by itself.

A patch that fixes a problem that isn't there in the real world but
could be there if some system somewhere followed some obscure standard
to the very letter is a typical example of code-churn.

A patch that introduces an poorly thought-out feature that nobody uses
is another common example, as is modifying code to accommodate adding
undefined features later. If the code-modifying is promptly followed
by a patch to introduce a new feature that relies on the new behaviour,
it's not considered churn since the new feature is already defined.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231

Considering the successes of the wars on alcohol, poverty, drugs and
terror, I think we should give some serious thought to declaring war
on peace.