Subject: Re: [RFC] fast-import: 'cat-blob' and 'ls' commands

From: Sam Vilain <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 09:46:29 +1000

On 27/01/11 07:39, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> Hi fast importers,
>
> I would like your thoughts on a few developments in fast-import
> protocol (thanks to David, Ram, Sverre, Tomas, and Sam for work so
> far).  If they seem good, I'd be happy to help make patches to other
> backends so these can be implemented widely.
>
> Contents: cat-blob command, filemodify (M) with trees, ls command.

Ok.  My first thoughts here are to be careful about the design: this
fast-import protocol is fast becoming close to getting an RFC, having
multiple interoperable implementations available, so do consider whether
all syntax will be cleanly extensible to eventually support full basic
plumbing requirements.

ie, using the command 'cat-blob' instead of a 'cat' command with 'blob'
as an argument as git cat-file currently works seems to be an
inflexibility and may eventually be considered legacy.

Otherwise it looks fine, seems to support all the file types etc. 
Thanks for keeping the work up!

Cheers,
Sam