Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] Disallow empty section and variable names

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 10:29:45 +0100

Am 1/31/2011 10:17, schrieb Libor Pechacek:
> On Mon 31-01-11 08:48:31, Johannes Sixt wrote:
>> Am 1/30/2011 21:34, schrieb Libor Pechacek:
>>> +	test_must_fail git config . &&
>>> +	test_must_fail git config .foo &&
>>> +	test_must_fail git config foo. &&
>>> +	test_must_fail git config .foo. &&
>>
>> Not a nit: These tests only show that 'git config' cannot be asked for
>> junk, but they do not show that you cannot insert junk into the config
>> file anymore using 'git config'.
> 
> This change builds on top of "Sanity-check config variable names" which makes
> setting and getting values use the same key checking routine.  For the moment,
> it does not matter if we test the "set" ot "get" path.

The purpose of tests is not to check the implementation, but the
observable behavior. Therefore, you want to write a test case to make sure
that neither usage is broken by future changes.

-- Hannes