Subject: Re: moving to a git-backed wiki

From: "J.H." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2011 14:48:45 -0800

On 02/01/2011 02:36 PM, Jay Soffian wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 3:11 PM, Jeff King <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>  https://github.com/peff/foo/wiki
> 
> A git-backed git wiki would be great. As a related matter, the hosting
> infrastructure for https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page
> seems overloaded. About half the time I try to access it, it's either
> down completely or very slow to respond. If the wiki were git-backed I
> could get to it even if the central site were down. :-)

The wiki will almost universally have a "central site" no matter what
the backend.  Personally I see little advantage to having a git backed
wiki myself.

Speaking to the slowness, it's caused by at least 2 different kernel
related bugs on the two boxes that run the wikis that I haven't had
enough time to track down to nail to specific developers to fix.  I have
20u of equipment sitting in my apartment that is heading to Portland in
the next two weeks to eliminate the bits I'm pretty sure are the root
cause of the problems.

Trust me when I say it's not only been a thorn in my side, and something
I've been rather angry at several people about, but it's something that
has kept me up at night trying to get fixed.

> That said, didn't the wiki just migrate to Mediawiki recently?

It did.

- John 'Warthog9' Hawley